The 9 Separate Trades required for Complete Kitchen Renovation

Upgrading your old kitchen for a new kitchen involves much more than simply removing the old and replacing with new. Each component installation is performed by separate qualified tradespeople to ensure your family’s safety and peace of mind.

Let’s separate the components of a new kitchen and detail the required trades for each…

1.     Cabinets, doors, drawers – the manufacture of the body of your new kitchen along with the doors, drawers, hinges and handles is performed by a Cabinet Maker. Using hi tech computer generated drawings and custom specifications, the cabinet maker cuts and trims the boards, assembles the cabinets, fits the door and drawer hardware, and quality checks the final product prior to delivery to site for installation.

2.     Need walls altered or moved? – if so, a licensed Builder / Carpenter is who you will call on to ensure any structural modifications to your home are safe, legal and compliant with latest building requirements. The last thing you want is a ’handyman’ removing or relocating a section of wall that is tied into the structural integrity of your home and responsible in part for holding your roof above your head.

3.     Power points, oven, rangehood and cooktop – you’ll need a licensed Electrician to isolate all power sources prior to removal of your old kitchen, to relocate or upgrade power and lighting services if required and then to fit off all new appliances when your new kitchen is installed.

4.     Water and drainage – likewise you’ll need a licensed Plumber to isolate the existing water feed and drainage prior to removal of the old, to relocate or upgrade services if required and then to fit off new tapware, sinks, dishwashers and drainage when your new kitchen is installed.

5.     Stone or solid surface benchtops – an experienced Stonemason will template, cut, shape and provide cutouts for sink, tapware and cooktops as required. Getting a solid benchtop installed properly is a skill with mere millimeters to work with for a snug and pleasing fit.

6.     Glass or tiled splashback – for a glass splashback you’ll require a qualified Glazier to measure, cut, colour and toughen the glass panels prior to installation. For a tiled splashback you’ll require a Tiler, likewise if you’re tiling on the floors at the same time.

7.     Need cornicing replaced or wall sheets fixed – you’ll need a qualified Plasterer to ensure a neat and professional fixing and finish.

8.     Painting – often the choice homeowners offer to perform themselves to play a part in the renovation, however for a professional preparation and finish you may indeed choose a licensed Painter to complete the professional renovation you have embarked upon.

So, there you have it… potentially 9 separately qualified trades required for an average complete kitchen renovation.

  • Cabinet Maker
  • Builder / Carpenter
  • Electrician
  • Plumber
  • Stonemason
  • Glazier
  • Tiler
  • Plasterer
  • Painter

Add to that your kitchen designer, delivery drivers, lighting and colour consultants, cabinetry installers plus more, and you see the big picture of what goes into a complete kitchen renovation with regards to manpower and labour.

Previous PostNext Post